I’ve been employed in basketball for 20 years. In that time I’ve been very fortunate to learn from some of the best teachers in the game. The idea behind The Hoop Consultants is to take the experiences that were shared with me and give them back to our viewers.
We want to better the coaches at the grassroots level to help shape our game. I’ve worked at every level of basketball imaginable working with over 300 NBA players at one point of their careers. Player development is something that I feel very passionate about and love teaching to players and other coaches. We provide a lot of free information to coaches on our blog, but also offer services for coaches at all levels and genders.
Currently I serve as the Director of Player Development for the Dallas Mavericks. This is a dream position that I have worked very hard to obtain. There will be no discussion about what we do with our players as those are the property of my employer and can’t be shared.
We can share general philosophies of player development and strategy, but under no circumstances can we discuss what we do with the Mavericks. Also unlike before I took this position, because I am employed by an NBA team I can’t have any contact with high school,college, or professional male players or any parent as well per NBA guidelines.
MIKE PROCOPIO – DIRECTOR/PRESIDENT THE HOOP CONSULTANTS
- In charge of implementation of all on court player development programs for the younger players on roster.
- 2003-2012 Director of Basketball Operations for ATTACK Athletics in Chicago,IL. Clients such as Kobe Bryant,Dwyane wade, Caron Butler, as well as 75 other NBA players. Direct all basketball skill work for NBA players, college players, and NBA pre draft participants.
- 2009-2012 Strategic Game Management Coach to Kobe Bryant (2 NBA Championships)
- 2009-2010 Assistant Coach Maine Red Claws (NBDL) Assisted in player development for all players on roster.
- 2003 Coached the prestigious Treviso Big Man Camp and Euro Prospect Camp featuring some of the top european big men and NBA draft prospects from all over europe. Treviso,Italy
- 2003-2006 Scout Boston Celtics. Assisted GM Danny Ainge with Draft reports of college and international prospects as well as evaluating NBA,NBDL, and CBA rosters.
- 2000-2002 Editor of The Northeast Scouting Report. An NBA Scouting report evaluating Big East,Atlantic 10, America East, and CBA players for various NBA teams as an independent scouting consultant
- 1999-2009 Director/Founder of the National Prep School Invitational. The Nation’s oldest national invitational event for fifth year prep schools. Comprised of over 20 of the nation’s top fifth year prep school basketball programs. Every year over 50 Division one basketball recruits compete in this event in Kingston,RI
- 1996-Present Nike Skill Development Coach. Assisting in workouts for top college players for Nike to evaluate on future NBA draft. Players that participated in workouts include Yao Ming, Tim Duncan, DeRon Williams, Chris Paul, and Blake Griffin
- 1997-1998 Assistant Coach Notre Dame Prep Nationally ranked prep school. Team was comprised of 10 division one players and played a national schedule
- 1994-2004 Assistant Coach BABC(Boston Amateur Basketball Club) AAU Organization. One of the nation’s top amateur clubs. Over 50 Division One Players Competed on this Nationally Ranked team including 3 McDonalds All Americans(Chris Herren,Randell Jackson, and Torin Francis)